We present an approach that takes a single video of a person’s face and reconstructs a high detail 3D shape for each video frame. We target videos taken under uncontrolled and uncalibrated imaging conditions, such as youtube videos of celebrities. In the heart of this work is a new dense 3D flow estimation method coupled with shape from shading. Unlike related works we do not assume availability of a blend shape model, nor require the person to participate in a training/capturing process. Instead we leverage the large amounts of photos that are available per individual in personal or internet photo collections. We show results for a variety of video sequences that include various lighting conditions, head poses, and facial expressions.
What’s changed since the days when theft was worse than murder? I would really love to see whether a “historical economist” (or whatever those are called) could estimate the statistical value of a human life as defined by people’s own revealed preferences. This is the sort of calculation where we infer how much each of us values our own lives based on the amount we are willing to pay to avoid small chances of death. In the US today, the number is about $8 million now, and is surprisingly consistent (within a factor of 2) over many possible inference methods. (Of course, there are exceptions where people effectively pay rates of many billion dollars per life to avoid emotionally salient risks, like terrorism.)
The Nautilus article gives the misleading impression that society’s changing values are mostly due to moral progress (presumably arising, I guess, from people being persuaded by moral arguments, or from certain societal norms taking hold).
LaTeX in commentsInclude [latexpage] to render LaTeX in comments. (More.)
- How to think about Quantum Mechanics—Part 1: Measurements are about bases (11)
- Wigner function = Fourier transform + Coordinate rotation (6)
- Ninnat Dangniam [latexpage] Mahmoud, one has to be careful how to define “quantumness” based on the negavitity... – Dec 28, 1:54 AM
- Mahmoud Now I know that the negative values of Wigner function represents of the non-classical state... – Sep 13, 1:18 PM
- Jess Riedel Thanks Lucy. Sorry about the spam filter; the options provided by Wordpress are crummy and... – Aug 26, 8:39 AM
- Lucy Keer Oops, that was a bit unclear - meant to say that I tried to add... – Aug 26, 7:45 AM
- Lucy Keer Thanks very much for writing this up! I had very similar frustrations recently in trying... – Aug 26, 7:40 AM
- Links for April-May 2018 (8)
- Devin Bayer Hi Jess, I found your blog via another physics blog and subscribed because I found... – Aug 04, 3:29 PM
- Top posts (2)
foreXiv by C. Jess Riedel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.