- There’s been some coverage of using etching to produce superhydrophobic metals. Unfortunately, it probably suffers from the same durability issues (no resistance to being destroyed through normal wear) as previous techniques that used special chemical coatings.
- A funnel plot is a quick graphical way to check for publication bias on a topic.
Apparently, the best way to avoid a fight with a confrontational Red Kangaroo (the largest kangaroo species) is to give a deep cough. This is a signal of submission by subdominant males, and can assure the dominant male that you aren’t challenging him. Otherwise…
Daniel Dennett, synthesizing Anatol Rapoport, on how to compose a successful critical commentary:
- You should attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your target says, “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.
- You should list any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
- You should mention anything you have learned from your target.
- Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.
If only the same code of conduct could be applied to critical commentary online, particularly to the indelible inferno of comments.
But rather than a naively utopian, Pollyannaish approach to debate, Dennett points out this is actually a sound psychological strategy that accomplishes one key thing: It transforms your opponent into a more receptive audience for your criticism or dissent, which in turn helps advance the discussion.
(H/t Rob Wiblin.) Although most folks have heard and approve of many of these tips, it’s common for people to get lazy about implementing them because, frankly, it’s kind of a lot of work.
LaTeX in commentsInclude [latexpage] to render LaTeX in comments. (More.)
- Legendre transform (4)
- Branches and matrix-product states (6)
- Jess Riedel This prompted me to take an old email where I listed some models of branching... – Oct 12, 3:16 AM
- interstice Thanks. Do you know of any systems, toy or real, where we can identify a... – Oct 11, 10:06 PM
- Jess Riedel Great question. It is not obvious that we should define branches from the tensor structure... – Oct 10, 8:00 PM
- interstice Right, so to argue that the branches evolve independently, one must first define what branches... – Oct 10, 4:19 PM
- Jess Riedel You're right that the criteria for defining branches I give in the paper doesn't make... – Oct 05, 2:33 PM
- interstice I have a stupid(?) question. The criteria you give in the paper doesn't involve time-evolution... – Oct 05, 12:36 PM
- Comments on Weingarten's preferred branch (1)
- Links for August-September 2017 (2)
foreXiv by C. Jess Riedel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.