- Popular-level introduction to the five methods used to identify exoplanets.
- Another good profile of the SEP.
- ArXiv gets some money to improve stuff.
- Flying fish are hard to believe. It’s something of a tragedy that fish capable of long-distance flight never evolved (that we know of?). They are so bird like it’s startling, and this ability has evolved independently multiple times.
- In addition to Russia and China, the US also at one time had ICBMs deployed by rail.
For nuclear power plants governed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission, SAFSTOR (SAFe STORage) is one of the options for nuclear decommissioning of a shut down plant. During SAFSTOR the de-fuelled plant is monitored for up to sixty years before complete decontamination and dismantling of the site, to a condition where nuclear licensing is no longer required. During the storage interval, some of the radioactive contaminants of the reactor and power plant will decay, which will reduce the quantity of radioactive material to be removed during the final decontamination phase.
The other options set by the NRC are nuclear decommissioning which is immediate dismantling of the plant and remediation of the site, and nuclear entombment which is the enclosure of contaminated parts of the plant in a permanent layer of concrete.Mixtures of options may be used, for example, immediate removal of steam turbine components and condensors, and SAFSTOR for the more heavily radioactive containment vessel. Since NRC requires decommissioning to be completed within 60 years, ENTOMB is not usually chosen since not all activity will have decayed to an unregulated background level in that time.
- The fraction of the federal budget devoted to NASA peaked in 1966, three years before the Moon landing.
LaTeX in commentsInclude [latexpage] to render LaTeX in comments. (More.)
- How to think about Quantum Mechanics—Part 1: Measurements are about bases (11)
- Wigner function = Fourier transform + Coordinate rotation (6)
- Ninnat Dangniam [latexpage] Mahmoud, one has to be careful how to define “quantumness” based on the negavitity... – Dec 28, 1:54 AM
- Mahmoud Now I know that the negative values of Wigner function represents of the non-classical state... – Sep 13, 1:18 PM
- Jess Riedel Thanks Lucy. Sorry about the spam filter; the options provided by Wordpress are crummy and... – Aug 26, 8:39 AM
- Lucy Keer Oops, that was a bit unclear - meant to say that I tried to add... – Aug 26, 7:45 AM
- Lucy Keer Thanks very much for writing this up! I had very similar frustrations recently in trying... – Aug 26, 7:40 AM
- Links for April-May 2018 (8)
- Devin Bayer Hi Jess, I found your blog via another physics blog and subscribed because I found... – Aug 04, 3:29 PM
- Top posts (2)
foreXiv by C. Jess Riedel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.