- Bryan Caplan reviews Hanson and Simler, and in several cases makes critiques similar to mine.
Viruses face strong adaptive pressure to have small genomes and, as a consequence, their external structure is made of a small number of repeating proteins. This is why they often have a high degree of geometric symmetry.
Virus genomes also make use of overlapping genes to wring out more efficiency.
Daniel Bernstein is the author of qmail. Bernstein created qmail because he was fed us with all of the security vulnerabilities in sendmail. Ten years after the launch of qmail 1.0, and at a time when more than a million of the Internet’s SMTP servers ran either qmail or netqmail, only four known bugs had been found in the qmail 1.0 releases, and no security issues. This paper lays out the principles which made this possible
- Luke Muehlhauser excerpts Daniel Ellsberg.
Project Excalibur was a Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) research program to develop [a space-based] x-ray laser as a ballistic missile defense (BMD). The concept involved packing large numbers of expendable x-ray lasers around a nuclear device [on an orbiting satellite]. When the device detonated, the x-rays released by the bomb would be focused by the lasers, each of which would be aimed at a target missile. In space, the lack of atmosphere to block the x-rays allowed for attacks over thousands of kilometers.
- Jeff Kaufman reports on the excellent news that Charity Navigator is beginning the slow push to accounting for effectiveness! GiveWell deserves tremendous credit for instigating this long ago.
- Useful, basic arguments for and against whether cryptocurrencies (and tokens) are good for anything.
LaTeX in commentsInclude [latexpage] to render LaTeX in comments. (More.)
- Links for April-May 2018 (8)
- Top posts (2)
- Links for July 2018 (3)
- Yuan Now the problem seems to be gone (at least for NewsBlur). Thanks! Yuan – Jul 18, 3:30 AM
- Jess Riedel Yikes, it looks like I'm not getting it on my feed reader either. That would... – Jul 17, 8:39 PM
- Yuan Hi Jess, I have been experiencing difficulties with the RSS feed of your blog lately.... – Jul 17, 5:40 PM
- Links for June 2018 (4)
- Jess Riedel Fixed, thanks! – Jun 16, 4:05 PM
- Scott Aaronson It’s BQP, my man, not “QBP”! – Jun 16, 3:58 PM
- Jess Riedel Hey thanks, fixed. I suspect I was a victim of the annoying website behavior where... – Jun 15, 12:40 PM
- Tildeon The "Brightline" link doesn't seem to match the text. – Jun 15, 12:37 PM
foreXiv by C. Jess Riedel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.